I’ve been hearing from lots of people that they’re getting frustrated over building niche sites for one reason or another. I’ve been there and still get frustrated a lot, but I get through it and keep going. I hear things like “The last Google update ruined my site“, or “there’s already good sites in the niche I want to build one with, I can’t compete“, or No matter what I do, I can’t get traffic to my site“. These are not reasons for not succeeding, they are excuses.
Here’s a piece of Advice: Quit now, this isn’t for you.
Since I’ve been learning about internet marketing the past few years, I’ve come to realize some things about this business. I call these my “Internet Marketing Truths“. I read through it every once in a while, especially when I’m getting frustrated and it always helps to motivate me.
My Own Personal Internet Marketing Truths
- I will succeed at making a full time living online working for myself. No question about it.
- It will be one of the most challenging things I ever do.
- It will be one of the most rewarding things I ever do.
- Making my dream a reality is worth 1000 times the hard work it will take to achieve.
- I will spend way too many hours on projects that will tank. I need to pick myself up and start over every time.
- I will get so frustrated over a Google update or a failed website that I want to quit and accept failure. I will not.
- It is going to take years of hard work and perseverance to make my dream a reality.
- Somebody is always going to build a better site than me.
- Life happens and will get in the way of my progress over and over.
- It will be hard to find enough time to go full time, but I’ll find it somewhere.
- My friends and family will not understand what I’m doing and think I’m wasting my time.
- I will get burnt out on Internet Marketing.
- Many days I will not feel like working on my business, I’ll do it anyways though.
I know not everybody is doing this to go full time. Not everybody wants to. Many people are happy building income generating sites as a hobby or part time job for a little extra monthly income. If that describes you, then things might not be so hard. It’s not too difficult to make a few hundred dollars a month online.
If you want to do this as a full time living, then it’s a different story!
I believe that making decent money or a full time living online is totally possible yet most people will not be willing to do what it takes to make it or have a strong enough will to make it happen. The industry changes so fast and if you can’t keep up, you get left behind. The web industry as a whole moves so fast it’s hard to keep up, I know because I’m a professional web developer by day. The technologies and methods of today will most likely change drastically in the next 10 years. Are you ready to keep up?
What You Have To Do To Make a Full Time Living Online
Think about it … even if you succeed in making a full time living online right now or soon, you’ll have to be a part of this fast changing volatile industry for the next 10 to 30 years of your life if you want to keep it up. Can you keep up with it for that long? That’s a lot of content to produce, websites to rank, products to create, Google updates to follow, and social media guidelines to keep up with!
You’ll have to do it all yourself or you’ll have to build a team to manage it all. If you do it all yourself you’ll likely end up working a lot more than a “regular job” to make it work. If you end up building a team to help you out, you have to learn about managing and training teams and that adds a whole new level of complexity to your business. Are you going to be able to handle that for a few decades straight?
If you are going to make a full time living online for the rest of your life, then you will have to:
- Work harder than you ever have before.
- “Know” you are going to succeed, not just “think” or “hope” you will.
- Overcome EVERY obstacle that gets in your way.
- Keep up with the latest web and internet marketing trends.
- Find time to make it happen, regardless of your busy schedule.
- Ignore the naysayers and people who don’t understand what you’re doing.
- Learn new skills constantly.
- Diversify your income streams.
- Work even when you don’t feel like it.
- Know you don’t have to do it “better”, you just have to “do it”.
Now I’m making up this number just to illustrate, it’s not backed up by research, but 99% of the people who try to make a full time living online fail. They fail because it’s really difficult and time consuming to achieve for most people.
Look at it this way. If there is an Internet Marketing forum that has 10,000 active users, only 100 of them will succeed. Do you think you have what it takes to be one of them?
Did I discourage you at all from making money online?
If so, then internet marketing is probably not for you. There’s a reason 99% of the people who try to make a full time living online fail. It’s freaking hard! If you can’t face all of the challenges I described above and more, than you should just quit now and save yourself the time and frustration, or accept that it will never be more than a hobby for you because you don’t have what it takes.
Or did I fire you up so you can prove me wrong? Those of you who have read through my post and are more determined than ever, you are the ones who will make it along side of myself. If you can face all I’ve laid out here and get through it all, then I’ll see you at the top! If I didn’t discourage you in the slightest, rather strengthened your resolve, then you will share the freedom that comes with this too. We’ll do it together.
P.S. If it seems like I’m being really harsh about what it takes to make a full time living online, it’s for your own benefit. Believe me, I sincerely hope that you do have what it takes and will be there right beside my through the entire journey. I hope we can have a beer together someday and look back at all we’ve accomplished and say “Man, WE are the 1%, we freakin’ did it. Cheers!”.