I like you. You’re one of the smart ones. You’re not going to fall for any “Get Rick Quick schemes” or get suckered into buying a dozen products promising to reveal “the Secret to Making Money Online“, or show you the TOP secret method that NOBODY knows about that works like magic. You know that it is totally possible to make money online through internet marketing and you’re ready to do it right. Kudos to you!
Let’s answer a few common questions, then get you started on your journey to complete freedom through Internet Marketing.
What Is Internet Marketing?
Internet marketing can mean many different things to many different people. For the purposes of this website, we will be defining it as this:
That should be simple enough to cover all of the different methods and components, yet specific enough for us to keep everything relevant.
Why 99% of People Who Try To Make Money Online Fail, and Why That 1% Succeed
First you have to realize that there is no magic bullet and that it is going to take a lot of time, effort, trial and error, and hard work before you earn your first dollar. While the mechanics of making money online sound easy – build a website, get traffic, monetize, there’s a good reason why 99% of the people who try end up quitting before they ever make their first dollar online. It’s freaking hard and takes more time and effort than most are willing to put in.
Here are the stages that a typical “failed” internet marketer will go through in their journey (the 99%).
- Realize that they hate their job, want to work for themselves, or discover that there is a better way to live.
- Get super stoked about making money online, start researching, and become ready to take some action!
- Throw up a website with some mediocre content, display some ads, and check their traffic statistics every 15 minutes.
- Get a bit discouraged when they don’t make any money in the first week or two, start exploring a bit deeper into the world of making money online , get sold on an eBook or 5 promising to make it as easy as 1-2-3, and spend the next 2 months trying out various methods to see what works.
- Get a bit more discouraged when those eBooks turned out to not be as helpful as the hype made them sound, try a new method or two, learn a bit more, find another eBook by a true internet marketing guru that will REALLY help them this time around.
- Get extremely discouraged when they’ve spent the last 6 months exploring, building websites, reading eBooks, and have not made a single dollar yet.
- Decide that it’s not actually be possible to make money online and that everybody saying it is is full of crap.
- Give it one last half-assed attempt, then say @#$% THIS! and quit.
Here are the stages that a typical “successful” internet marketer will go through in their journey (the 1%).
First, they will likely start off just like everybody else and go through all of the same stages listed above. This is normal and very common, and most of all IT’S OKAY. Don’t beat your self up about it! Consider it the equivalent of your first two years of college. Consider the time and money you spent to be the cost of the opportunity that you are pursuing. If you don’t feel like all that time and money is worth working for yourself and living the life you choose, then you don’t want it bad enough because you are going to most likely put in a hundred times than much effort and work before you “make it”. This is just the beginning. Fear and self doubt run rampant but you need to persevere if you are going to do it … for me there is no other choice.
It’s at the end of this cycle of failed internet marketers where the successful ones rise above. Up until now I was describing the 99% who fail … now our story turns to you … the 1% who will make it no matter what.
Chalk up everything up to this point as your education and opportunity cost, and make a conscious decision to pause, assess everything you’ve learned, reorganize, make a plan, set your goals, and take consistent targeted confident action towards those goals. Here’s where you are going to do what most people cannot. You are going to CHOOSE not to fail.
Here’s what happens next for you, the 1% (ideally) …
- Consider everything you experienced up until now as your initiation and education. Forgive yourself for your previous attempts, and realize that unless you quit now, YOU DID NOT FAIL. The only way you fail at this is by quitting.
- Make a firm commitment to make this work, NO MATTER WHAT.
- Find a few truly honest successful internet marketers to follow and learn form.
- Reaffirm your commitment to learning, and be okay with the fact that it will take a lot of time, effort, learning, trial and error, and hard work to make this happen.
- Choose a method of making money online that appeals to you and make it your single focus.
- Learn, apply, learn more, apply it more, focus, learn more, re-evaluate your progress, make adjustments, learn more, and take solid action.
- Earn your first $1 !!
- Get SUPER pumped about it and realize that hey, you CAN do this after all!
- Fight off the urge to just go crazy and expand into 10 more new projects, because the ideas will be flowing now for sure.
- Concentrate most of your time doing more of what led to your first dollar that you earned.
- Set specific measurable goals that lead to your higher level goals and complete them piece by piece.
- Figure out what works for you, do more of it, diversify, repeat.
- Start to make small but consistent money online (maybe $10 – $20 a month)
- Build a support group and network of like minded people that love to help each other out. Realize that you’re not in this alone!
- Work harder, work smarter, grow your online income slowly but steadily.
- Diversify, network, and grow your online business to a point you can go full time.
- Quit your old job and work for yourself.
- Sit back, have a beer, and congratulate yourself for taking control of your life, freeing yourself from the old way of living life, and pat yourself on the back.
YOU DID IT.
Now not everybody will follow that exact same path and many will get lost along the way. It’s those who preserver through it all who will unlock the door to a lifetime of fulfillment, and a life that is designed by choice, not by circumstance.
Will you be one of them? I think you will. I just know it!
So, How Can You Get Started Earning Money Online?
Since I’m in the process of creating content for my own internet marketing classroom now, here are a few links to some TRULY AWESOME people who you can trust and will not lead you astray. Explore them, follow them, learn from them, apply what they teach, and you will be well on your way to becoming a successful internet marketer.
One last piece of advice – If you want to learn from somebody not listed above, buy an internet marketing product, or try something out – please don’t hesitate to contact me here! I can answer any questions you might have or at least point you in the right direction. I’ve had lots of help along the way and I absolutely LOVE to help others out. You don’;t have to do this alone. Let’s do it together.
It’s a lot to take in for somebody new to this field. It’s confusing and overwhelming for those wandering through it without direction or guidance.